Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The best thing about the Great Wall

We went to a different section of the Great Wall this time.  Apparently, this is the one you go to when you don't have much time.  I am very happy about this for one simple reason.  There is no trolley.  Being suspended from a cable car is not my idea of a good time so I was thrilled to keep my feet on the ground. 

The stairs were steep and uneven and people stared as Cameron ran up them, then would run back down to meet us, then back up again.  Show-off. 

We all had a great time!  A few of us are a little sore today with burning knees etc. but what do you expect.  It definitely helps you to get on local time.  It wears you out so you can sleep at night.

After the Wall, we made a quick stop at a Jade factory.  Everything was beautiful and way overpriced.  There was a necklace identical to one I bought last time at about 5 times the price.  I thought the sales lady would weep when we left without purchasing anything. I even apologized to our guide about it.  I felt so bad for her.

We had a wonderful meal at a local Chinese restaurant (that seems to cater only to tour groups).  The food was great and we all loved it with the exception of one.  Jarrett is really impressing me.  He has decided to try everything, and so far, he has.  He doesn't like it all, but that hasn't stopped him from giving the next new food a chance.

From there, we stopped at the Cube and the Bird's Nest for a quick walk around and a few pictures.  Basically, we needed to kill some time before we went to the airport.  The Chinese really aren't using these facilities for anything right now.  There were quite a few tourists walking around like we were and some vendors, hoping for a sale or two.  That was about it.  It was a largely unoccupied space, which is hard to find here.

We left for Xi'an and once again, arrived at out hotel late at night.  Right now, I am waiting for the real excitement of this trip.  We meet our guide in about an hour to go get Declan.

Yes, I am a little nervous about that :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment