He's getting better.
Today, Declan finally drank water from his sippy cup. I thought perhaps he didn't understand the cup. Turns out he was just refusing to drink from it. At any rate, he sucked down half a cupful without taking a breath. He then went on to have a good breakfast. On our way back up to our room, I showed him the huge fish tank full of large orange goldfish. Mr. Somber couldn't help himself. His face split into a huge grin before he could suppress it. We got a great picture of it too! Only there was no card in the camera....
He played ball with Jarrett some, smiling a few more times. He sat on Daddy's lap and took a nap in the car. We were on a roll! We then left to the Terra Cotta Warrior factory where he really started feeling more comfortable and wanted to run around, right next to the expensive carved jade pieces. At that point, he really started refusing to let anyone else carry him. Last night, he was in the pack on Billy's back for an hour or so walking around the city. We thought that it was a good test run for the next day. He did great in the pack and spent the whole time looking around at the city lights. So, it was very disappointing the next day when he wanted nothing to do with the pack. I realize I should be thrilled that he held his pleading little arms out to me to be carried (and I am), but people, the boy is heavy! We were there for hours. Walking. To top it off, he likes me to hold him on the right arm only, with his legs together (not on my hip).
We did look for a stroller. Hence the trial run the night before. The cheapest one we could find was around $160.00. Don't get me wrong, it was a very nice stroller. However, I thought it was worth it to have Billy pack him for that kind of money. Hah! I am starting to stress that Kunming won't have any strollers, either.
The Terra Cotta Warriors were amazing! I have wanted to see them for years. It was hard to believe we were actually there. It would have been nice if the huge crowds of people had gotten out of my way so I could see them better in honor of my dream come true, but I managed to have a good time anyway.
Declan was happy and smiley the whole time we were there. He has carried this little car around since we got him and he was running it on any ledge he could reach. It very nearly became a part of the exhibit. Billy and Delanita happily snapped pictures the whole time (yes, we put back the card) and Cameron and Jarrett mostly tried to get Declan's attention. The Warriors got nothing over a new brother!
We had a great lunch there. It was supposed to be an all you can eat buffet. However, the waitress brought our certain dishes (the meat ones) that were not unlimited. You could have as much rice, cake, and cheap veggie dishes (think: cucumbers and onions) as you wanted. It also included stretched noodle soup. You could watch how the chefs made it and it was the best soup I've had. Well, at least half of us thought so. The other half is searching for a McDonald's right now.
Update: Declan likes cheeseburgers and fries.
SOOOOO glad to hear he is coming out of his shell a bit!! Annnnnd you have a staple food for homecoming...cheeseburger and fries! Hilarious! :).
ReplyDeleteThanks for updating!! I love reading your posts!!